Palmetto Conservation Foundation (PCF) is pleased to announce a fantastic weekend of active outdoor recreation this fall to empower and inspire women to head into the great outdoors and enjoy trails and parks.
• WHO – Chief Organizer: Palmetto Conservation Foundation (PCF). Because we’re building the Palmetto Trail and we want to see more women of all ages, abilities and experience gain confidence to enjoy the great outdoors on trails and in parks.
• WHO – Participants: Must be women 18+ who aspire to or already enjoy active, self-powered recreation. From skill level to body shape and color to creed, this event is inclusive. PCF is planning the event for 300 women.
• WHAT – An active weekend for women, by women to learn, play, and share in the great outdoors.
• WHEN: November 14–17, 2019
• WHERE: Table Rock State Park in South Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountains, and including hiking trails in Pickens and Oconee counties and the new Stumphouse Mountain Bike Park near Walhalla, SC.
Two exceptional outdoor women will keynote the event.
• Jennifer Pharr Davis, the record-setting Appalachian Trail hiker. Davis’s talks are personal, authentic and inspiring—as if chatting around the campfire with each member of her audience.
• Carolyn L. Hartfield, passionate health & wellness advocate. An accident that would sideline most people sent Hartfield into health food & sports nutrition, Tai Chi for pain management, chronic disease self-management, and health literacy. She is a certified coach, dynamic speaker, and intrepid adventurer who, at almost 70, is “aging gracefully.”
From boots to bikes, an array of workshops will focus on all things necessary for day trips, weekend jaunts, and longer treks on trails.
For example, novices may expect to learn the essentials of necessary gear, trip planning, safety, and etiquette, including Leave No Trace, to feel comfortable with organized groups.
Intermediates may expect to learn about gear and useful skills—for example, from packing to cooking to breaking camp—to plan and lead day and weekend trips for family and friends.
Experts may work on fine-tuning gear and skills to push the envelope to even higher levels of adventure on trails. Instruction on yoga, stretch therapy, meditation and exercise will be on the agenda to prepare for all outdoor adventures. Everyone will have multiple opportunities to practice skills and enjoy trails in South Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountains, especially Stumphouse Mountain Bike Park.
Register via the Women’s Outdoor Adventure website:
About Palmetto Conservation
The mission of the Palmetto Conservation Foundation (PCF) is to conserve South Carolina's natural and cultural resources, preserve historic landmarks, and promote outdoor recreation through trails and greenways. Founded in 1989, PCF is a statewide nonprofit organization with headquarters in Columbia. PCF’s largest and best-known project is building and maintaining the Palmetto Trail. To learn more about Palmetto Conservation & the Palmetto Trail, visit www.palmettoconservation.org and Facebook/palmettoconservation, or call 803-771-0870.