Fifty-one students from around the world celebrated their graduation from Sherman College of Chiropractic in Spartanburg, SC, on Saturday, September 19, 2020, during the college’s first ever virtual commencement ceremony. The college’s 137th commencement was a shared ceremony for June and September 2020 graduates. The ceremony premiered on the college’s Facebook and YouTube platforms and featured award presentations, speeches, and a photo presentation of the graduates.
Vice President for Student Affairs LaShanda Hutto Harris, MSW, said because the college was unable to host a traditional ceremony, it sought to use the digital format to its benefit, creating a personalized program. “We were able to provide a more intimate ceremony with personal touches,” she shared. “Students participated in the production by submitting photos to be premiered in the graduate presentation, and our elected student announcer, Cid Marie Correa Irizarry, read the names of her classmates during the program.”
Sherman College Assistant Professor of Clinical Sciences Terry E. Lancaster, M.A., presented the commencement address; she teaches courses in anatomy and physiology, osteology, integration of human systems and more. Frank Vaught Jr., D.C., delivered the charge to the graduates. Vaught is the founder and owner of Health on Earth Wellness Centers, LLC, in Alsip, IL, and a founding partner of Evoke Chiropractic Coaching.
The following graduates received awards:
• Cid Marie Correa Irizarry of Puerto Rico (June class): Clinical Excellence Award
• Megan Grady of Pennsylvania (September class): Academic Achievement Award
• Michael Gregory Haun of Tennessee (June class): Milton W. Garfunkel Award, Academic Achievement Award
Sherman College of Chiropractic provides students with a comprehensive chiropractic education, preparing them to enter the field as doctors of chiropractic who are highly skilled, compassionate, ethical and successful. On its 80-acre campus in South Carolina, Sherman offers a first professional degree program unique in its approach to health care and known globally for the skill and art of chiropractic delivered by graduates. For more information, visit www.sherman.edu or call 800-849-8771.
• Tara Dawn Levesque of Maine (September class): Milton W. Garfunkel Award, Clinical Excellence Award
• Teena Marie Rowe of Kentucky (June class): B.J. Palmer Philosophy Distinction Award
• Regina Renee Sanders of South Carolina (September class): Service Distinction Award
• Charles Thomas Tucker III of South Carolina (June class): Service Distinction Award, B.J. Palmer Philosophy Distinction Award