The South Carolina Wildlife Federation (SCWF) is launching a state-wide art contest to design the menu art for one of their upcoming events: “Forks, Knives, and Spoonbills: A Dinner Celebrating Conservation.” The dinner series partners with local chefs all over the state to create culinary dining experiences themed around imperiled species of birds. SCWF previously hosted two of these events at The Spotted Salamander (Columbia) and The Anchorage 1770’s Ribaut Social Club (Beaufort) in January and February of this year. The art contest will focus on the menu for the now postponed Greenville event, originally scheduled for March 28th at Passerelle Bistro.
Local artists are encouraged to submit their designs reflecting each of the birds used in the menu from Passerelle Bistro’s Executive Chef, Jenifer Rogers. Artists of all ages and all art mediums are encouraged to submit their designs for a chance to win either $100 cash or two tickets to the Greenville dinner (valued at $200). Official contest rules can be found by visiting: www.scwf.org/events/artcontest.
“In a time where so many people are finding ways to stay busy at home, we wanted to draw attention to some of the amazing bird species found in our state,” said SCWF Executive Director Sara Green. “We cannot wait to see the creative interpretations of these birds reflected by local talented individuals.”
SCWF will reschedule the Greenville dinner as soon as officials announce it is safe to do so. The previously released menu features dishes designed to represent six imperiled bird species found in South Carolina.
1. Red Headed Woodpecker: Smoked Hickory Broth, Quail Egg in Brioche Bird’s Nest, Fried Parsnip, Candied Walnuts
2. Roseate Spoonbill: Head on Prawn, Candied Candy Stripe Radish, Pickled Rhubarb, Ginger Saffron Emulsion
3. Bobolink: Anson Mills Farro, Butternut Squash Custard, Wild Mushroom, Pearl Onion, Bacon Tomato Jam, Pea Shoots
4. Eastern Towhee: Tea Brined & Acorn Breaded Rabbit Leg, Meyer Lemon, Mulberry Gastrique, Acorn Romesco
5. Scarlet Tanager: Blackened Venison, Sweet Potato Gnocchi, Cranberry & Blood Orange Gel, Deconstructed Arugula Pesto, Pine Nuts, Parmesan Crisp
6. Baltimore Oriole: Dark Chocolate Cannoli, Persimmon & Orange Filling, Black Cherry Ice Cream, Confit Cherry
About the South Carolina Wildlife Federation:
One of the 52 state & territory affiliates of the National Wildlife Federation, the South Carolina Wildlife Federation (SCWF) is the oldest conservation organization in the state and prides itself on science-based wildlife conservation policy and high-quality education programs. SCWF’s mission is to conserve and restore South Carolina’s wildlife and wildlife habitat through education and advocacy. For more information, visit their website at: www.scwf.org.
SCBIZtv is part of the SC Biz News family, serving 100,000 high-level business execs throughout South Carolina. Click for more from SCBIZtv.