TRAVELERS REST, S.C. – Residents of The Cliffs, a portfolio of seven luxury mountain and lake club communities in the Western Carolina mountains, are helping Upstate South Carolina children succeed by volunteering thousands of hours in classrooms and donating money to local schools as part of nearly $1 million in giving in 2017.
Members and residents of The Cliffs’ six South Carolina communities have come together through Cliffs Residents Outreach (CRO), a 501(c)3 non-profit organization of volunteers dedicated to enabling Upstate South Carolina children to succeed by focusing on literacy, nutrition and mentoring for kids in Greenville, Pickens and Oconee counties. Other South Carolina initiatives by The Cliffs communities in 2017 benefitted local fire departments, the Upstate South Carolina domestic violence agency known as Safe Harbor, area veterans and animal rescues.
Charitable donations in 2017 totaled nearly $1 million across all seven of The Cliffs communities in Upstate South Carolina and Western North Carolina.
“We are incredibly proud of our members and residents for their initiative, drive and commitment to making an impact in Upstate South Carolina and Western North Carolina,” says David Sawyer, President and Managing Partner of The Cliffs Clubs. “Our members and residents come from all walks of life and all around the world with passions for golf, wellness, cycling and more, but one interest that unites them above all is their passion for giving back to the larger communities they call home.”
In 2017, financial donations of $500,000 from CRO members provided funding to local schools with an emphasis on closing funding gaps by augmenting each school’s educational resources, supporting selected technology-related budgets to fund critical items, and providing emergency food and clothing for the most underserved children in the Upstate. Combined with 17,800 volunteer hours, members of CRO touched the lives of more than 5,600 students from early childhood to college in Greenville, Pickens and Oconee counties.
Since its inception in 2007, CRO has raised more than $3 million to benefit children of the Upstate.
Other Notable Efforts
• The Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards members and residents assisted Pickens County Schools in securing a $5 million grant for the 2017 academic school year.
• The Cliffs Valley Ladies Golf Association raised more than $32,000 for Upstate South Carolina domestic violence agency Safe Harbor. The Cliffs Valley Ladies Golf Association has contributed more than $118,000 to Safe Harbor since it began supporting the organization six years ago.
• Members of The Cliffs at Glassy and Cliffs Valley communities contributed more than $50,000 to the Glassy Mountain Fire Department in 2017.
• The Cliffs at Glassy residents raised more than $25,000 for Pet Tender Angels, a 501(c)(3) non-profit providing rescue and rehabilitation for homeless animals.
• The Cliffs Valley members and residents recently presented Upstate Warrior Solution, a local veterans aid organization, with $42,000 raised during their annual Memorial Day golf tournament.
• In 2017, The Cliffs corporation has raised more than $75,000 for charitable organizations through their donations of packages, foursome golf matches and more.
In Western North Carolina, members of the Walnut Cove Members Association (WCMA), a 501(c)3 organization comprised of members and residents of The Cliffs at Walnut Cove in Arden, North Carolina, committed to giving back to the Asheville and greater Western North Carolina community. WCMA’s annual “Weekend of Giving” — a four-day fundraising event including golf and tennis tournaments — raised more than $173,000. Since its inception in 2007, the WCMA has awarded 270 grants totaling nearly $1 million to local charities.
For more than 10 years, residents and members of The Cliffs have continuously given back to the local community in various ways through the CRO, the WCMA and other initiatives that comprise Cliffs Giving.
About The Cliffs
The Cliffs is a collection of seven private, luxury residential mountain and lake club communities located in the Carolina Blue Ridge Mountains between two of the nation’s top award-winning cities for quality of life – Greenville, South Carolina, and Asheville, North Carolina – and Clemson, South Carolina, home to top-ranked Clemson University. The Cliffs’ suite of amenities for members includes seven clubs, seven nationally recognized golf courses, six wellness centers, boating, watersports, marina, beach club, cycling, paddle sports, tennis complexes, equestrian center, hiking trails, wakeboarding, wine clubs, more than a dozen restaurant and private event venues, an organic farm and more than 2,000 year-round programs and social activities to create timeless experiences. Homes at The Cliffs range in price from $350,000 to $6 million or more, and homesites start at $125,000. The Cliffs also offers professional and national club memberships. For more information about The Cliffs, visit CliffsLiving.com. Contact The Cliffs at 864-249-4364 to learn more about real estate, membership or to arrange a visit.