March 29, 7:30PM
Chapman Cultural Center
Ballet Spartanburg is bringing back So You Think You Can Dance, Spartanburg! March 29th at the Chapman Cultural Center. So You Think You Can Dance, Spartanburg! is a friend and fund-raiser for 10 community groups who want to not only raise funds but awareness of their missions.
“This event is different from other fundraisers. Our concept was to include organizations that we partner with to dance the first year to raise money and awareness for the groups. Those groups raised $20,000 in votes. The teams keep 100% of the votes raised. Parkinson’s Dance won the first year in 2016, and they are determined to win the trophy again this year! But I think they are a few groups who are hard at work raising money as well.” stated Teresa Hough, Executive Director.
The groups dancing this year are the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Upstate, Charles Lea Center, City of Spartanburg Police, Hub City Animal Project, Project Hope Foundation, Sidewalk Hope, Spartanburg School District 1, Spartanburg School District 7, and Spartanburg Parkinson’s.
“The evening is the perfect night for a family event. Children able to see over 100 children and adults of all ages and abilities doing what makes them happy-dancing! In 2016, people were dancing in the aisles, clapping and singing. This is not a quiet event.”
“We have a $25 general admission ticket and we will sell concessions in the lobby. We have a $65 Friend of SYTYD, Spartanburg! which includes incredible food by Sophie’s Choice Catering, cocktails and more located in our Ballet Studio prior to the show.”
“Just to let you know what you will see when you come to the event, here are few highlights for each team. AND THEY NEED YOUR VOTES. It is so easy to vote for them. Go to www.balletspartanburg.org to vote. You may also vote by mailing in a check and you can vote the night of the event. These teams have practiced for months and they are dancing for you and for their organizations on March 29th.”
• Charles Lea Center will have 20 adults dancing with 2 dancers in wheelchairs who are so excited to dance to the fun and fast paced song, "Dynamite” by Taio Cruz. These folks will have fun on the stage and will be waiting for the audience to clap with them.
• Project Hope Foundation students are dancing to Katy Perry's "Roar". They are raising money for their new building on Henry Street in Spartanburg.
• Sidewalk Hope is a new group to participate and they will dance to a precious song from "Sister Act". Sidewalk Hope is an inner-city ministry that is reaching out to children in our Spartanburg community.
• Parkinson's Dance will dance and dedicate their dance to Neil Diamond. They will dance to "Coming to America." As you know, Neil Diamond was just diagnosed with Parkinson's.
• The City of Spartanburg Police are dancing to Jailhouse Rock- Blue Brothers Style. They are raising money for the Children's Advocacy Center.
• Spartanburg School District 1 is premiering a piece from "Beauty and the Beast" from their upcoming musical. They are joining us for the first time dancing!
• Spartanburg School District 7 is premiering a piece from their upcoming spring musical, "Addams Family-the musical". They're creepy and they're kooky, mysterious and spooky, they’re all together spooky, The Addams Family!
• Boys and Girls Clubs of the Upstate are dancing to Justin Timberlake's, "Can’t Stop The Feeling” and you should see these children dance!
• Hub City Animal Project will have dancers from Ballet Spartanburg, dressed as the most adorable little doggies and yes, a few REAL dogs will be on the stage dancing as well dancing to, "Who Let the Dogs Out". Monies raised will support the Hub City Animal Project.
For tickets, call 864.542.ARTS or go online to balletspartanburg.org for information about tickets. So You Think You Can Dance, Spartanburg! is one night only.